Thursday, April 26, 2012

Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie and It's Not Mama's

This one is just as good as this one posted here from quite a while back. (Back when all of my pictures had a yellow, red, or green hue to them. So sad.) Anyhow, I do like to use puff pastry as the top of my pot pies, though I'm not fond of the double or bottom crust. Just seems like too much to me. Yes I do love pot pies, I have made many a chicken pot pie though not so many in the beef variety. I have one in mind though and hopefully will get around to making and blogging it. Trust me it was a beautiful presentation and sounded equally wonderful. In any event, this one comes to us from Better Homes and Gardens and has a surprise ingredient in it. Most of us only use it once a year. I have seen Rachael Ray use it in various ways to try and use it up. Can you guess what it is?


Start by sautéing the leeks, mushrooms, and celery.


Yep!
Poultry Seasoning!
You know the one you only pull out for the holiday bird? 


Make your rue adding the flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Cooking until it thickens to a pasty consistency. Do not let it brown it though. You want a white cream sauce.


Add broth and half and half. Cooking until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and remaining vegetables.


Cover with pastry (of your choice). You can make your own, or use pre-made pie crust if you like. I like the flakiness of the puff pastry myself, it feels a little lighter. Though I use the frozen pre-packaged, as I haven't mustered up the nerve to try and make it myself.


The finished pot pie is really tasty just by adding that magical spice from that little yellow box. You know it's hiding up there in your cabinet too.

I plan on finding more ways to use poultry seasoning in recipes, as it contains a large variety of spices already mixed into one little box.


Chicken Pot Pie
Courtesy: Better Homes and Gardens, once again!


Ingredients

Puff pastry sheet for Topper
1 cup chopped leek (3 medium) or onion (1 large)
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
¾ cup sliced celery (1-½ stalks)*
½ cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1-½ cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half, light cream, or milk
2-½ cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 cup loose-pack frozen peas or frozen peas and carrots**
1 egg, beaten


Directions 

In a large saucepan cook leeks, mushrooms, celery, and red pepper in butter over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add broth and half-and-half. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and remaining vegetables (your choice). Pour into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

Place pastry over chicken mixture in dish. Turn edges of pastry under; flute with a fork to edges of dish. Brush pastry with some of the egg. If desired, place cut-out pastry shapes on top of pastry. Brush again with egg.

Bake, uncovered, in a 400° F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.


*I omitted the celery (just didn't have any that day)
**I used fresh carrots, diced, frozen peas, plus I added in ½
cup of frozen green beans



We're Linking this post up with:


 
Carla
&
Michael

4 comments:

  1. This really looks good and something I can enjoy since I love pot pies. Regrettably, I do not have the facility to try your recipe.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a few more months before summer to try this one out! I love potpies so much. Adding this one to my extensive "to-do" list. Cheeers.

    -h

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla,
    The broth for your Chicken Pot Pie looks so smooth and creamy just filled with flavor. This looks very comforting to me, wish I had some right now. Your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crazy about puff pastry and think it's a great idea to top a pot pie with it...sounds better to me than standard crust. Digging the leeks & mushrooms in this too. Thanks for linking up again this week!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our friends.